Friday, May 28, 2010

Politician in Progress (no not really)

Politics make me nervous. I majored in political science so this is somewhat strange, but it is an uneasiness that has developed over the past decade or so. It has to do with the fact that I know very few people who hold passionate political views who can express calmly and reasonably their thoughts and ideas and can listen, really listen, to those who disagree. There is so much rhetoric, so much anger and so much absolutism when any political topic is introduced. It seems to me that politics make people see red (no communist reference intended). However, what I have realized of late is that I have let my queasiness keep me out of a discussion and a process that might benefit from my thoughts and/or ideas. Not that I am anything particularly spectacular, but if reasonable, caring people (I think I am one of those) stay away from all things political then we leave politics to those who may not be either.
In the interest of full disclosure I am a conservative. In the great state of Massachusetts I am probably considered very conservative. I think the government should tax less, legislate less and spend less. This view is based on my interpretation of the Constitution, study of American history and philosophy of government in general. I am in fact very passionate about my views which I believe are well thought out and based on a lot of reading, talking and listening. I also believe . . . wait for it . . . that reasonable minds can differ on these very basic ideas and on the more specific issues on which I also hold some strong views.
I am unwaveringly pro-life, but I understand those who think the government should not legislate this issue (I strongly disagree on that, but I get the idea). I am decidedly anti-death penalty, but I see the reasoning of those who are not (the death penalty is in fact racist, sexist, classist and has without question resulted in the execution of the innocent) I am in favor of immigration reform, but think that neither Republicans or Democrats have offered a realistic plan. This would be one that addresses both the adjustment of status for those illegals here already and legitimate security concerns brought about by our lax border policies as well as the effects of amnesty on those considering entering the US without visas. I believe we need a safety net of welfare and subsidized housing, but think that these programs are deeply flawed and should not be allowed to continue as they are just because it is in fact political suicide to enter that particular fray. I think Congress has the right to legislate a measure of gun control, but I believe firmly in the second amendment and therefore think the government does not have the right to take away the rights of Americans to own guns. I just don't think we have any kind of constitutional right to semi-automatic weapons or to purchase guns with no oversight. I think one of the few things the federal government can and should involve itself deeply in is the protection of the environment, but I also believe that the current fashionable nature of the green movement is evidence of how the market can be used to serve the end of environmental preservation. I did not vote for President Obama, but he is my president and I support him even while I disagree with much of what he has done since taking office.
Okay so after putting all of that on the table - liberals, do you hate me? Think I am ignorant or unfeeling? Conservatives, did I not go far enough? Am I too wishywashy? Libretarians, are you mad because I want to take away your oozy? (that was kind of punchy and I apologize even while leaving it in b/c I made myself laugh). This is my point though I avoid expressing my views because I fear that, as has often happened in the past, either people will engage with me in anger to beat me over the head with the error of my ways or they will nod and smile not engaging at all - all the while thinking I am stupid, misled heartless or something else that explains my errant views. So I have justified my silence because I like being liked. I haven't wanted to appear to feel too strongly. Heaven forbid I appear radical or impassioned. I have been avoiding those fights I so eagerly sought in my youth.

Although I have found that many of my liberal friends sometimes think those with opposing views are either less intelligent or less compassionate than they, and my conservative friends sometimes seem to feel that those who disagree with them are either less patriotic or hardworking I will risk being the ignorant, heartless, un-American slug and will make myself heard. We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment