Sunday, April 14, 2013


So I have really taken one for the team this week.  I went out and bought a lot of Fair-trade chocolate and taste tested it for all of you!  Because I am just nice like that I did share it with some other people in order to a) not gain 300 pounds and b)get some more taste buds involved for more opinions.  I will share our thoughts on which chocolates tasted best and which ones are best avoided.
I spent about $25 at Whole Foods on 8 different items. Most were large bars for $3.99 each.  Not really sure why but I ended up with an excessive amount of Dark chocolate.  I like dark, but I think next time I’ll be more balanced.  I shared them with a few friends and family members.  First some background on the brands.
Theo:  Seattle based.  Claim to be the first organic and fair-trade chocolate company in the US.  Their founding principle is that “the finest chocolate can and should be produced in an entirely ethical and sustainable fashion.”  They are third party verified for social and environmental responsibility.

Divine:  All fair-trade.  45% farmer owned.

Green and Black:  Organically grown and fair-trade certified.

365:  This is the Whole Foods brand.  They indicate that anything with the “Whole Trade” symbol meets their quality standards, provides more money to producers, ensures better wages for workers, high environmental standards and 1% of sales goes to their Whole Planet Foundation.

Equal Exchange Chocolates:  From their website -

In 1986, Equal Exchange was founded to challenge the existing trade model, which favors large plantations, agri-business, and multi-national corporations; support small farmers; and connect consumers and producers through information, education, and the exchange of products in the marketplace. With our founding, we joined a growing movement of small farmers, alternative traders (ATOs), religious organizations, and non-profits throughout the world with like-minded principles and objectives. Underlying our work is the belief that only through organization, can small farmers survive and thrive. The cooperative model has been essential for building this model of change

Here’s what we thought.  On a scale of 1-10.

Theo Organic Milk Chocolate Bar - 10+

This was probably the favorite of the few who got a sample.  Why only a few?  Because my husband thought tasting meant eating every last bit.  Seriously, after a friend and I got a small sample he ate the rest.  This was not a small bar.  He should know better than to come between a woman and her fairly traded chocolate, but he took the risk and endured the subsequent wrath which must also speak to the deliciousness of this one.

Theo Congo Vanilla Nib – 2

Me and almost everyone who had this did not approve.  It just tasted wrong, like they threw a bunch of ingredients together to see what would work.  I should mention though it did get a good review from one taster.  If you try it and don’t like it let’s blame him.

365 Everyday Value Dark 56% - 7

This one had a good initial taste, but a slight aftertaste that didn’t rock.  I tend to like the dark chocolate but even if you don’t this one wasn’t so dark that you couldn’t try it even if you usually prefer milk.

Panama Extra Dark 80% - 6

My older daughter declared this one to be “ok”.  My younger however said it “tastes like the fish kind” but she refused to give it back and ate it all so . . .

It was a little too dark for me but I imagine if dark chocolate is your favorite thing this one could be for you.

Divine Dark 70% - 8

This one got rave reviews including two thumbs up from my seven year old niece.

365 Dark 56% - 7

We got mostly positive feedback on this one except from my Mom who simply said – no.  My three year old daughter said “it’s good.  I love it.  It tastes good actually.”  This review would be better if you could hear the way she says actually – it’s fabulous.

Green and Black’s Dark 70% - 8

One of my daughters loved this while the other gave it the mediocre status “kind of good”.  I wasn’t its biggest fan either, there was a tangy taste I didn’t like.  However the other grown-ups who had it all gave positive feedback.

Green and Black’s Toffee Milk – 6

Not awesome.  Okay taste but really not worth the calories in my opinion.

When we started I talked about wanting to learn more so I could do something, make a difference.  As a result I am working through actions steps  . . .

So our action step for this week is to buy some Fair-trade chocolate.  You can do this at Whole Foods like I did or online at Amazon or you can go directly to the websites of any of the brands above.  In case you missed it our first action step was to stop buying chocolate produced using slave labor.  The first step is important as it stops us from supporting the institution of slavery the second step is us endorsing companies that have chosen to hold themselves to higher standards.  Stay tuned for our next action step!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment