I love celebrating “America’s birthday”. We have amassed a lot of great traditions
around this holiday! I love red, white and blue cakes and dresses and streamers
and those crazy headbands people wear. I love barbeques and fireworks and
history channel marathons about the revolution or the founders. I love American history, but my favorite period
is the revolutionary war. I mean not
that any war is good and even one so long ago should not be romanticized, but I
am fascinated by that time period and the men and women who lived it.
On this Independence Day I thought I would blog a little history
cause I do love to talk history every now and then. And by now and then I mean as often as
possible.
So here are some facts about the Declaration of Independence
so you can be the Know it all next time it comes up!
John Adams, who happens
to be may favorite founding father (what? You don’t have a favorite founding father?),
might argue that we should be celebrating our nation’s birthday on May 15th. That is when the Continental Congress passed
a resolution he had drafted and that he humbly described as “the most important
resolution that ever was taken in America” instructing the colonies to draft new
constitutions to replace the existent British charters of governance. This was a de facto declaration of
independence.
Wanting to make things perfectly clear on June 7 Richard
Henry Lee of Virginia moved and Adams seconded a resolution of independence:
Resolved, that these United Colonies are,
and of right ought to be, free and independent States, that they are absolved
from all allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection
between them and the State of Great Britain is, and ought to be, totally
dissolved.
They decided to postpone a vote because some of the delegates had to confer with
their colony legislatures before voting for independence. In the meantime they
decided someone had better draft something to spell out what they meant to say. A five man committee was appointed which
included both John Adams and Ben
Franklin. Neither felt it was a terribly
important assignment and so it was given to the committee’s junior most member –
Thomas Jefferson. He is said to have
taken about two days to draft it before bringing it back to the committee.
The Resolution for Independence passed on July 2, 1776. John Adams actually wrote his wife after the
session predicting that this day would be celebrated for generation to come as
the great anniversary of our country.
A draft of the Declaration was presented to the Congress on
that same day. They debated its wording
for two more days. In this debate they passed
right over the words we have come to value most perhaps because the ALL men and
UNALIENABLE rights would have seemed glaringly unfulfilled if examined too closely. Anyway, apparently each deletion, addition and
modification was like a knife to Jefferson’s heart. He kept original drafts and always resented
the interference with his genius. But
agreement was reached on the Fourth and Voila!
We had a Declaration that outlined our divine right and obligation to dissolve
the political bands which had connected us, form our own government and eloquently
listed our many grievances against our former King. John Hancock (president of the Congress)
signed it (taking up half the space left) but most everyone else did not do so
until August 2nd.
Now don’t misunderstand I realize that the Declaration of Independence
while beautiful and meaningful and revolutionary was an imperfect document crafted
by imperfect men
It was written by a man who held
slaves and yet declared all men to be endowed by their creator with unalienable
rights
It did not envision a world where political
rights were available to women, blacks or Indians or even men without property
for the most part
It did not do everything but it was a beginning – it cast a
vision that many have followed and expanded on and I think we can be thankful
for and honor that.
The story of our nation’s founding is an improbable
one. And in studying the Declaration and
so many of the events before and after it I find much to inspire me. In many ways it is a David and Goliath
tale. A group of men come together from
all over the colonies agreeing on nothing at first except not wanting to be
taxed without their consent, an army with almost no leadership or ammunition, fighting
an elite Army and their hired guns, a form of government that’s never been
tried on such a scale before. It
shouldn’t have worked. But it did. It does.
Sometimes. Sort of. I am proud to be an American and ashamed that
I too often take it for granted. It is a
privilege and a gift and I am thankful.
I totally understand your love of that time period in America's history. I'm a big fan too. I love HBO's John Adams series. Thanks for the quick history of the holiday (and the country).
ReplyDelete